Making All Things New


(This song is a little long, but it's well worth the time to listen.  P.S. You might want tissues handy!)

Holy Week is here, and this song in particular has been a source of inspiration and fervor for me.  It enkindles in me a desire and longing to become so much like Mary that when Jesus looks at me from the Cross, He will find comfort and consolation in my presence and love just as He did with His Mother.  Like Mary, to have a heart so united to Christ's that He truly is "heart of my heart" -- to have a heart that beats for Him alone.  To have Him be the one who animates ever aspect of my life.
For Him to be the inspiration to every thought, and the motivation behind every action.   To be crucified with Christ, no longer living my own life but rather Christ living His life in me. (cf. Galatians 2:20)  To have His heart beating within me.  Mary standing at the foot of the Cross is our shining example of this kind of intimate union with Christ.

My heart and my life are unfortunately quite far from this ideal.  In many ways my heart is still hard, still self-seeking, still selfish, still cold.  But through the merits of His Passion, Jesus makes all things new.  He promises each one of us, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws." (Ezekiel 36:26-27 NIV)

As we enter into Holy Week, let us ask our Lord to give us a new heart, a heart like His.  May Mary our Mother pray for us that we may have the grace to remain with her at the foot of the Cross.  She is our best teacher of how to love Jesus and remain faithful in giving our "yes" to Him, even in the midst of great suffering.

Ecce ancilla Domini: fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum.
Behold the handmaid of the Lord: may it be done to me according to Your word.


Comments