An Assumption Prayer

Today on the solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into heaven, I am sharing a prayer/reflection I wrote on this feast day a handful of years ago while on retreat.


Kneeling before you, Mary, we see your Immaculate Heart.  How beautiful it is!  It is full of grace, adorned with all virtues: humility, simplicity, gentleness, compassion, silence, prayer, charity.  Truly, Mary, tota pulchra es...you are all beautiful.

The beauty of your Heart makes me realize, by contrast, the coldness, the sinfulness, the hardness of my poor heart.  How this grieves me! Instead of falling into despair though. I run into your arms with all the confidence of a little child.  For I am your little child, and you are my true Mother.

See, O Mary, my heart.  Poor as it is, I give it to you, trusting in your maternal compassion.  I bet you, Mary, give me your Heart -- your Immaculate Heart! Lend me your sinless Heart, that with it I may love Jesus, our dearest King!  Enkindle my heart with love for God.  Teach me in each moment how I can best please Him.

Through your prayers, may the Holy Spirit, your Spouse, fill my heart and sanctify me.  O Mary, your Heart is my refuge.  Let me dwell there always, so that through you, with you and in you I may plase Him.  Teach me to always ponder God's word in my heart, just as you did.

O Heart of Mary, it is our sins that have pierced your heart.  You understand better than anyone how evil sin is.  Obtain for us, through your intercession true contrition and a firm purpose of amendment.  May we always remain with you in spirit before the Cross.  Teach us how to console Jesus with you.

O Mary, form in us the image of your Son.  Purify our hearts and make them like your own.  O Mary, may your Immaculate Heart triumph!!!

Comments